Coaching class owner arrested for molestation
Mumbai: The owner of a well-known coaching class was arrested on Thursday for allegedly molesting a 17-year-old female student at his Dadar office in central Mumbai, the police said.
Machindra Chate (48), the owner of Chate Coaching Classes, was booked for offences under Section 354 (assault or criminal force with intent to outrage modesty of woman) and Section 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) following a complaint filed by the victim with Bhoiwada police yesterday, the police said.
"Chate surrendered to us today. He was produced before a local court which remanded him to judicial custody. Later, he was granted bail by the court for Rs 15,000," Bhoiwada police station inspector D B Ingale told PTI.
The incident allegedly took place after a meeting held at the coaching class yesterday, which was attended by Chate, his students and their parents, since the syllabus had not been completed though exams were nearing, the police said.
After the meeting, the victim, an HSC commerce student, accompanied by two girls and a boy, went to Chate`s cabin to discuss the same issue, where a heated argument between the coaching class owner and the students occurred, Ingale said.
During the argument, an enraged Chate is alleged to have inappropriately touched the girl, who went to the police station along with her parents and fellow students to lodge a complaint, he said.
The police recorded statements of the victim and two other witnesses -- a boy and a girl.
An FIR was registered against coaching class owner, who was later arrested, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why