Coaching class owner arrested for molestation
Mumbai: The owner of a well-known coaching class was arrested on Thursday for allegedly molesting a 17-year-old female student at his Dadar office in central Mumbai, the police said.
Machindra Chate (48), the owner of Chate Coaching Classes, was booked for offences under Section 354 (assault or criminal force with intent to outrage modesty of woman) and Section 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) following a complaint filed by the victim with Bhoiwada police yesterday, the police said.
"Chate surrendered to us today. He was produced before a local court which remanded him to judicial custody. Later, he was granted bail by the court for Rs 15,000," Bhoiwada police station inspector D B Ingale told PTI.
The incident allegedly took place after a meeting held at the coaching class yesterday, which was attended by Chate, his students and their parents, since the syllabus had not been completed though exams were nearing, the police said.
After the meeting, the victim, an HSC commerce student, accompanied by two girls and a boy, went to Chate`s cabin to discuss the same issue, where a heated argument between the coaching class owner and the students occurred, Ingale said.
During the argument, an enraged Chate is alleged to have inappropriately touched the girl, who went to the police station along with her parents and fellow students to lodge a complaint, he said.
The police recorded statements of the victim and two other witnesses -- a boy and a girl.
An FIR was registered against coaching class owner, who was later arrested, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...