Cong minister`s plan to rope in Big B irks MLC
Mumbai: Maharashtra Minister of State for Home Satej Patil`s letter to Amitabh Bachchan asking him to be the state brand ambassador for traffic safety has drawn the ire of his fellow party legislator.
The minister`s invite to Bachchan comes in the backdrop of the recent accident on the Mumbai-Pune highway that killed 28 members of a wedding party.
MLC and vice-president of the Mumbai Congress, Charan Singh Sapra, in a letter to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, said the state should have a younger brand ambassador, instead of Bachchan.
"I have sent a letter to Chavan. I also spoke to Patil and told him the plan to rope in Bachchan was not alright," Sapra told a news agency here on Tuesday.
"Why not have a younger face like Sachin Tendulkar," he said.
"The minister informed me that he had only written to Bachchan and a final decision would be taken by Chavan," Sapra said.
Sapra suggested that younger celebrities like Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn and Shah Rukh Khan would strike a chord with youngsters.
"Bachchan is the brand ambassador of Gujarat, whose Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s role in the 2002 riots is well known," Sapra said.
In 2010, the then Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan faced brickbats within the party after he attended the inauguration of the Bandra- Worli Sea link where Bachchan was also a special guest.
Chavan later defended himself saying he had no clue about Bachchan attending the function as the invite for the event was sent by the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) which was with ally NCP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday