Cong-NCP decide to leave election-time feud behind
Mumbai: Congress and NCP, Maharashtra`s ruling coalition partners, on Thursday admitted that verbal duels between the leaders of the two parties during the recent zilla parishad elections were uncalled for, and said that such
acrimony would be avoided in future.
"Both parties agreed that personal attacks during election campaign for zilla parishads had sent a wrong signal among voters. We have to ensure that such things do not happen again even if the two parties fight elections separately," sources said.
AICC secretary Mohan Prakash, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre met with NCP leader and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, state NCP president Madhukar Pichad and PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal tonight to discuss the post-zilla parishad elections scenario.
It was decided that independents should be roped in to to form the civic governments wherever possible.
"Party which has the highest seats will get the post of ZP president and (municipal corporation`s) Mayor, the other party would get Vice President/ Deputy Mayor," sources said.
Earlier in the day, Mohan Prakash also held closed door meeting with Chavan and Thakre, against the backdrop of Congress coming second after NCP in zilla parishads, and the fall-out of disproportionate assets case against former Mumbai Congress chief Kripashankar Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi