Contempt of court case likely against MNS chief Raj Thackeray
Mumbai: Maharashtra Advocate General has given a go-ahead to a city-based lawyer to initiate contempt of court proceedings against MNS chief Raj Thackeray for taking exception to a Bombay High Court judgement denying permission to hold a political rally ahead of BMC polls in February.
"I hereby grant consent under section 15 (1)(b) of the Contempt of Courts Act to initiate contempt proceedings against (Raj Thackeray)," read the letter signed by Advocate General D J Khambata.
Advocate Ejaz Naqvi had recently written to Khambata seeking his mandatory consent to initiate contempt proceedings against the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief after he allegedly termed as "partisan" the February 5 decision of the high court rejecting MNS the permission to organise a rally, in run up to BMC polls, at Shivaji Park in Central Mumbai.
The court denied the permission on ground that the venue falls under silence zone.
Naqvi in his letter to the top legal officer had alleged that Raj (in his speech) had termed as "partisan" the decision of the high court.
"The aforesaid remark scandalises the high court and tends to lower its authority and dignity. The remark cast an unwarranted aspersion of partiality against the Bombay High Court", the letter reads.
"Since I have got the mandatory consent I will file a contempt of court petition against Thackeray," Naqvi said.
Raj Thackeray was unavailable for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read