Contempt of court case likely against MNS chief Raj Thackeray
Mumbai: Maharashtra Advocate General has given a go-ahead to a city-based lawyer to initiate contempt of court proceedings against MNS chief Raj Thackeray for taking exception to a Bombay High Court judgement denying permission to hold a political rally ahead of BMC polls in February.
"I hereby grant consent under section 15 (1)(b) of the Contempt of Courts Act to initiate contempt proceedings against (Raj Thackeray)," read the letter signed by Advocate General D J Khambata.
Advocate Ejaz Naqvi had recently written to Khambata seeking his mandatory consent to initiate contempt proceedings against the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief after he allegedly termed as "partisan" the February 5 decision of the high court rejecting MNS the permission to organise a rally, in run up to BMC polls, at Shivaji Park in Central Mumbai.
The court denied the permission on ground that the venue falls under silence zone.
Naqvi in his letter to the top legal officer had alleged that Raj (in his speech) had termed as "partisan" the decision of the high court.
"The aforesaid remark scandalises the high court and tends to lower its authority and dignity. The remark cast an unwarranted aspersion of partiality against the Bombay High Court", the letter reads.
"Since I have got the mandatory consent I will file a contempt of court petition against Thackeray," Naqvi said.
Raj Thackeray was unavailable for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'