Damini Purkayastha murder: Defence wants dead witness to depose in court
Mumbai: In a bizarre development, the advocate appearing for the accused arrested for the murder of city lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha on Thursday moved an application in a court here seeking to recall the prime witness in the case, who died two months ago.
"We have filed an application to recall Avik Sengupta as we need some clarification regarding evidence submitted by the Investigating Officer in the case," said defence lawyer Abdul Wahab Khan.
Sengupta, also a lawyer and Purkayastha`s fiancee, was the key witness in the case. The 28-year-old died on November 15 last year due to a brain disorder.
Khan said the defence needs certain clarifications from Sengupta about a key piece of evidence submitted by the Investigating Officer.
Khan said Sengupta`s death has not been mentioned anywhere in the Court records and hence "we filed the application to recall him" (for deposition).
The application will come for hearing in due course of time.
Purkayastha was allegedly murdered by a security guard, Sajjad Mughal, employed at her building in Wadala area on August 9, 2012.
Mughal (22), a native of Jammu and Kashmir, killed the 25-year-old, daughter of IAS officer Atanu Purkayastha, for `resisting his advances`, police have said.
Mughal was later arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video