Damini Purkayastha murder: Defence wants dead witness to depose in court
Mumbai: In a bizarre development, the advocate appearing for the accused arrested for the murder of city lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha on Thursday moved an application in a court here seeking to recall the prime witness in the case, who died two months ago.
"We have filed an application to recall Avik Sengupta as we need some clarification regarding evidence submitted by the Investigating Officer in the case," said defence lawyer Abdul Wahab Khan.
Sengupta, also a lawyer and Purkayastha`s fiancee, was the key witness in the case. The 28-year-old died on November 15 last year due to a brain disorder.
Khan said the defence needs certain clarifications from Sengupta about a key piece of evidence submitted by the Investigating Officer.
Khan said Sengupta`s death has not been mentioned anywhere in the Court records and hence "we filed the application to recall him" (for deposition).
The application will come for hearing in due course of time.
Purkayastha was allegedly murdered by a security guard, Sajjad Mughal, employed at her building in Wadala area on August 9, 2012.
Mughal (22), a native of Jammu and Kashmir, killed the 25-year-old, daughter of IAS officer Atanu Purkayastha, for `resisting his advances`, police have said.
Mughal was later arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India