Decision on transfer of land for Ambedkar memorial soon
New Delhi: The Centre on Monday said a decision on transfer of land for construction of a memorial for Babasaheb Ambedkar in Mumbai, pending for long, is expected soon.
The issue came up for discussion during the meeting of Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma and Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan here.
"The Chief Minister has been discussing this issue with me and there has also been an exchange of letters. Whatever legal procedures have to be completed for taking the decision will be taken at the earliest," Sharma told reporters here.
The 12.5 acre Indu Mill land belongs to the Central government owned National Textiles Corporation, which falls under the Union Textiles ministry.
When asked about reason for delay in land transfer, Sharma, who also holds additional charge of Textiles Ministry, said "the process is not so simple" as both the Centre and the state are involved.
Chavan also spoke on similar lines, saying the delay was caused as the state government had to take certain decisions relating to the issue.
"All these processes were taking time but now these have been completed," Chavan said.
A committee, consisting of top central and state government officials, is working out on the modalities for the purpose.
Prime Minister Manmohan singh had directed the committee and the state government to sort out all the issues, including the technical ones regarding the coastal regulations.
The sea-facing plot adjacent to Chaityabhoomi, the final resting place of Ambedkar, is visited by lakhs of followers on his death anniversary every year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi