Slapping row: MNS corporator arrested, granted bail
Mumbai: A Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) corporator, who was caught on camera repeatedly slapping a senior citizen over a delay in repairing a damaged water pipeline, was arrested by the authorities on Monday.
According to reports, MNS corporator Nitin Nikam was later produced in a local court, which released him on a bail.
The incident happened when Nikam summoned 65-year-old DG Patil, who had taken up a contract for repairing a water pipeline in Kalyan, following complaints about delays in water pipeline repair work in the area that had led to water scarcity.
Nikam, a corporator of the Kalyan–Dombivli civic body, got angry with Patil over the delay in repairing works and repeatedly slapped him- the footage of which were aired on a ABP Mhaza, a Marathi news channel.
Patil later lodged a complaint with Kolsewadi Police Station and a non-cognisable offence was registered against Nikam under Section 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) of the Indian Penal Code.
However, Nikam justified his reprehensible behaviour, saying he “used the (only) language these people understand, which is the language of the muscle.”
MNS chief Raj Thackeray, when made aware of the incident, got upset and vowed to take action against the corporator.
Reacting to the development, MNS party General Secretary (Legal) Akhilesh Chaubey said, “We can’t tolerate a senior citizen being slapped. Raj Thackeray was upset seeing the visuals,” said
The slapping incident has come as a major embarrassment for the MNS, which had promised during election time that the party and its corporators would not get engaged in shameless acts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks