Editors against setting up of Maha press council
Mumbai: Senior editors on Tuesday resolved to
oppose "tooth and nail" the Prithviraj Chavan government`s
move to set up Maharashtra Press Council in the state.
Editors including Shekhar Gupta, Editor-in-Chief of
the Express Group, N Ram, Editor of The Hindu and Nikhil
Wagle, Editor of IBNLokmat, addressing a meeting at the Press
Club here, said the journalist community would oppose the move
in a manner which was witnessed during the Bihar Press Bill,
1981 and Defamation Bill, 1988.
"We would oppose tooth and nail any move to introduce
Maharashtra Press Council," Wagle said.
Ram said there already existed a statutory body -- the
Press Council of India and there was no need for a separate
Press Council for Maharashtra.
"Imagine if all states have Press Councils, what would
happen?", he asked.
The editors addressed journalists at the Press Club
after meeting Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan at Sahyadri
Guest House here to discuss the murder of journalist Jyotirmoy
Dey, frequent attack on journalists and demand for an
enactment of a law to make attacks on journalists non-bailable
and cognisable offence.
A proposal to support revival of the Action Committee
for Protection of Journalists was also discussed.
Wagle pointed out that in the last 20 years there has
been as many as 879 attacks on journalists and media houses in
Maharashtra, which is perhaps the worst in any state. "The
situation in rural and mofussil areas is far bad," he added.
In the last two years in Maharashtra, there has been
180 attacks on media personnel and media houses that had been
documented, Ram said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged