Encounter in which 6 women Naxals died was fake: Activists
Gadchiroli: A human rights activist on Wednesday alleged that the encounter at Mendhri village in Etapalli tehsil of the district on July 7, in which six suspected women Naxals were killed, was fake.
Bela Bhatia, a professor at Tata Institute of Social Sciences, lodged a written complaint in this regard with the Superintendent of Police here today.
Bhatia headed a fact-finding team that visited the spot recently.
Police, huge in number, could have captured women alive as they had indicated that they wanted to surrender, she alleged.
"We will produce ourselves before the Sub Divisional Magistrate of Etapalli who is conducting magisterial enquiry into the incident," Bhatia said, addressing a press conference here.
Police had claimed that they opened fire in retaliation.
Gadchiroli, which borders on Chhattisgarh, is a hotbed of Naxal activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley