Eve-teasing cases should be dealt seriously: HC
Mumbai: Incidents of eve teasing should be dealt with strictly as the issue involves women`s dignity, the Bombay High Court has observed.
The comments came from a bench headed by Justices V M Kanade and P D Kode while hearing a suo motu PIL.
On September 17, the same bench had while confirming death sentence on two persons for raping and killing a BPO employee in Pune, had recommended to the Chief Justice framing of norms for safety of women, particularly those who work in the night shifts.
On November 8, Chief Justice Mohit Shah converted the request of the judges for framing norms for women`s safety into a PIL and assigned the matter for hearing to the same bench.
When the matter came up for hearing yesterday before the judges, they said that women`s security has become an issue of concern in the society.
"These days there have been instances when people are assaulted and murdered just because they have protected or rescued women. Hence, the issue needs to be tackled," observed Justice Kanade.
The judges were referring to the murder of a 19-year-old boy in suburban Dombivali, who was allegedly stabbed to death by hooligans over an issue concerning a girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations