Eve teasing: Outrage grows over two youths’ death
Mumbai: Two youth who were injured while
resisting teasing of their girl friends in suburban Amboli
here have died, police said on Wednesday.
28-year-old unemployed youth Reuben Fernandes and his
25-year-old friend Keenan Sentos (25) had sustained serious
stab wounds while resisting the eve-teasing by a group of
persons in suburban Amboli, police said.
Rueben is the second victim in the scuffle that had
broken out between two groups over eve-teasing. On October 20,
his friend, Keenan Sentos (25) was also attacked with choppers
by a group of four after the duo objected to their acts of
indecent behaviour against girls with whom they had gone on an
"Fernandes was injured on October 20 outside Amboli Bar
and Restaurant on Caesar Road. He died on October 31 night
while undergoing treatment in Kokilaben Hospital," inspector V
D Bhoite of D N Nagar police station said.
Sentos, a former chef in a hotel, died soon after the
incident while Fernandes, who was unemployed, was undergoing
treatment in Kokilaben Hospital since then, Bhoite added.
Sentos and Fernandes, along with five others, including
three girls, had gone to the bar to have dinner and watch a
cricket match on a giant screen put up there. After a while,
they came out of the restaurant and were standing near a pan-
shop when the incident had occurred, police said.
Following the attack, police searched the area to nab the
accused who were identified as Jitendra Rana (25), Sunil Bote
(20), Satish Dulgaj (35) and Deepak Tival (19). They were
later traced and arrested. One of them is a labourer, another
is a barber while the rest are unemployed, police said.
Meanwhile, friends of the two victims have started a
campaign under the title "Justice For Keenan and Rueben" on
social networking site `Twitter` to seek support from people.
One of the comments that appeared on the site was "should
protecting your friend be rewarded with murder? Question your
safety, Question the authorities".
Another comment read "wake up politicians! Is it what
India has come to?".
Speaking to the media, Keenan`s father Valerian demanded
that the accused be severely punished and appealed all those,
who had seen the murderous attack, to come forward before the
court to give evidence so that justice is done.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way