FDA seizes gutkha, pan masala worth Rs 5 lakh
Amravati: A joint team comprising sleuths of the district Food and Administration (FDA) and Crime Branch on Saturday raided a godown here and seized gutkha and pan masala worth Rs 5 lakh.
Eight gunny bags containing the banned products (gutkha and pan masala) were seized from the godown of Arco Roadlines Transport, located near Belora airport, police sub-inspector Yerme told reporters.
"We are trying to identify persons from whom the consignment was meant to," he said, adding the haul was delivered on July 5 and July 17 from a Mumbai-based trader and one Ali Javed from Nagpur.
Maharashtra government has imposed a ban on sale, manufacture, storage and distribution of gutkha and pan masala in the state which came into effect from July 20.
On a tip-off, police swung into action late last night and reached the godown, but could not gain access inside as it was locked, Yerme said, adding the police could enter inside it at around 10 AM when the staffers there rolled up the shutters.
While `Pan Parag` was found stashed in five gunny bags, three bags were found stuffed with `Dhamal` gutkha.
FDA official Wani, who also participated in the raid, said altogether 32 cartoons were recovered from the godown.
The cost of the seizure is pegged at Rs 5 lakh, he said.
An offence has been registered under section 30/2 of Food and Drugs Act 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!