FDA seizes gutkha, pan masala worth Rs 5 lakh
Amravati: A joint team comprising sleuths of the district Food and Administration (FDA) and Crime Branch on Saturday raided a godown here and seized gutkha and pan masala worth Rs 5 lakh.
Eight gunny bags containing the banned products (gutkha and pan masala) were seized from the godown of Arco Roadlines Transport, located near Belora airport, police sub-inspector Yerme told reporters.
"We are trying to identify persons from whom the consignment was meant to," he said, adding the haul was delivered on July 5 and July 17 from a Mumbai-based trader and one Ali Javed from Nagpur.
Maharashtra government has imposed a ban on sale, manufacture, storage and distribution of gutkha and pan masala in the state which came into effect from July 20.
On a tip-off, police swung into action late last night and reached the godown, but could not gain access inside as it was locked, Yerme said, adding the police could enter inside it at around 10 AM when the staffers there rolled up the shutters.
While `Pan Parag` was found stashed in five gunny bags, three bags were found stuffed with `Dhamal` gutkha.
FDA official Wani, who also participated in the raid, said altogether 32 cartoons were recovered from the godown.
The cost of the seizure is pegged at Rs 5 lakh, he said.
An offence has been registered under section 30/2 of Food and Drugs Act 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS