First open Agricultural University to be set up in Nagpur
Nagpur: Arvind Krushi Mukta Vidyapeeth, the first-ever open agricultural university, dedicated to practical education in the field of agriculture, will come up soon in Nagpur.
Farmer suicides, poor yields, low remunerations, crop damage due to untimely or inadequate rains, were some issues disturbing me for the last few years, said former Maharashtra Agriculture Minister Ranjeet Deshmukh, who will be at the helm of this proposed varsity, named after his father.
"Together some experts in the field and we came up with this concept of an open agricultural university that would take the lead in educating and training farmers," he said.
"We will start with study centres and training programmes first in Vidarbha and the state and gradually spread over to all over the country," said Mukund Gaekwad, who has been appointed as the Chancellor of the new university.
He is a visiting professor of agriculture in international universities and former head of horticulture department at Mahatma Phule Agriculture University, Rahuri.
Several experts like farm consultant and scientist Subhash Nalange, weather specialist B N Shinde, value addition expert Jyoti Surse, PDKV`s former Vice-Chancellor C D Mayee, Ramesh Fiske are in the managing committee of the university.
"We have applied for registration to the Distance education Society, New Delhi, and expect to get it in two weeks," said Ashok Dhage, the new Vice-Chancellor.
Explaining how it will be different from traditional agricultural universities where students at the end of three to five years of education get little practical knowledge to improve agricultural practices, Deshmukh said, "We plan to entirely revolutionise farm education by giving it a practical base."
"Unnecessary technical jargon and subjects that are imparted in agricultural universities which hardly help in training a student for field work will be junked. Our courses will be structured on local needs. For instance, in Vidarbha where cotton, soyabean and paddy are main crops the varsity will design specific courses for these crops," Deshmukh, also twice former president of Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC), said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars