Five detained for trying to sell newborn baby
Thane: Five persons, including the mother of a newborn baby, have been detained based on a complaint that she allegedly tried to sell the child to a couple, police said Friday.
Dr Sunil Wadkar, the medical officer of Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation, lodged a complaint with police last night that a 20 year-old girl, Deepali Vitthal Khatavkar, who had delivered a baby boy on January 30, tried to sell the baby to a couple yesterday.
The girl, a resident of Naigaon in Thane, had registered herself with the DDM Petit Civic hospital for delivery under two different names.
Suspicious about this, the doctor kept a tab of her moves and checked her documents.
It was found that the girl had borne the child out of wedlock and she, in connivance with her boyfriend, Bhushan Korgaonkar, had planned to sell the baby after delivery.
The duo also sought help of a woman, identified as Akshata Kadam, to hold negotiations with a couple and finalise a deal for them. The woman struck a deal with a couple for Rs 50,000.
However, Wadkar yesterday foiled their attempt and filed a complaint against them.
Following this, police detained Deepali, her boyfriend, Akshata, and the couple to whom the child was to be sold, for questioning.
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Vasai Division, D P Devraj, today said that they were looking into the complaint and will take appropriate steps in due course of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them