Five detained for trying to sell newborn baby
Thane: Five persons, including the mother of a newborn baby, have been detained based on a complaint that she allegedly tried to sell the child to a couple, police said Friday.
Dr Sunil Wadkar, the medical officer of Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation, lodged a complaint with police last night that a 20 year-old girl, Deepali Vitthal Khatavkar, who had delivered a baby boy on January 30, tried to sell the baby to a couple yesterday.
The girl, a resident of Naigaon in Thane, had registered herself with the DDM Petit Civic hospital for delivery under two different names.
Suspicious about this, the doctor kept a tab of her moves and checked her documents.
It was found that the girl had borne the child out of wedlock and she, in connivance with her boyfriend, Bhushan Korgaonkar, had planned to sell the baby after delivery.
The duo also sought help of a woman, identified as Akshata Kadam, to hold negotiations with a couple and finalise a deal for them. The woman struck a deal with a couple for Rs 50,000.
However, Wadkar yesterday foiled their attempt and filed a complaint against them.
Following this, police detained Deepali, her boyfriend, Akshata, and the couple to whom the child was to be sold, for questioning.
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Vasai Division, D P Devraj, today said that they were looking into the complaint and will take appropriate steps in due course of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof