Five Maha MLAs suspended for beating cop
Mumbai: Five Maharashtra MLAs have been suspended from the state Assembly on Wednesday after they allegedly assaulted a policeman. The MLAs have been suspended till the end of the year for assaulting a police officer in Vidhan Sabha.
A First Information Report (FIR) was registered against them on Tuesday by the victim, Assistant Police Inspector (API) Sachin Suryavanshi. He was allegedly beaten up by a group of MLAs including Vasai MLA Kshitij Thakur, MNS legislator Ram Kadam, Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent), among others, on the first floor of the Vidhan Bhavan.
Suryawanshi had allegedly stopped the vehicle of Kshitij Thakur on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link when the MLA was on his way to attend the legislative Assembly session.
Thakur was reportedly fined because his vehicle had exceeded the speed limit. There was an altercation between the legislator and the policeman, during which the latter allegedly misbehaved with Thakur.
This morning, Thakur, who represents the Vasai assembly constituency, moved a breach of privilege notice against Suryavanshi and gave a detailed account of the policeman`s "misbehaviour."
Angered by Thakur`s information, members cutting across party lines demanded the policeman`s suspension. Suryavanshi was sitting in the visitor`s gallery at that time and some of the MLAs saw Suryavanshi in the visitors` gallery making "provocative" gestures with his hand and was looking down at the assembly members.
They caught hold of Suryavanshi at the entrance to the visitors’ gallery on the first floor and allegedly thrashed him.
The accused have been booked under IPC sections 143 (unlawful Assembly), 341 (wrongful restraint), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) and 506 (ii) (criminal intimidation), the officer added.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena