Five Maha MLAs suspended for beating cop
Mumbai: Five Maharashtra MLAs have been suspended from the state Assembly on Wednesday after they allegedly assaulted a policeman. The MLAs have been suspended till the end of the year for assaulting a police officer in Vidhan Sabha.
A First Information Report (FIR) was registered against them on Tuesday by the victim, Assistant Police Inspector (API) Sachin Suryavanshi. He was allegedly beaten up by a group of MLAs including Vasai MLA Kshitij Thakur, MNS legislator Ram Kadam, Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent), among others, on the first floor of the Vidhan Bhavan.
Suryawanshi had allegedly stopped the vehicle of Kshitij Thakur on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link when the MLA was on his way to attend the legislative Assembly session.
Thakur was reportedly fined because his vehicle had exceeded the speed limit. There was an altercation between the legislator and the policeman, during which the latter allegedly misbehaved with Thakur.
This morning, Thakur, who represents the Vasai assembly constituency, moved a breach of privilege notice against Suryavanshi and gave a detailed account of the policeman`s "misbehaviour."
Angered by Thakur`s information, members cutting across party lines demanded the policeman`s suspension. Suryavanshi was sitting in the visitor`s gallery at that time and some of the MLAs saw Suryavanshi in the visitors` gallery making "provocative" gestures with his hand and was looking down at the assembly members.
They caught hold of Suryavanshi at the entrance to the visitors’ gallery on the first floor and allegedly thrashed him.
The accused have been booked under IPC sections 143 (unlawful Assembly), 341 (wrongful restraint), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) and 506 (ii) (criminal intimidation), the officer added.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets