Five Maha MLAs suspended for beating cop
Mumbai: Five Maharashtra MLAs have been suspended from the state Assembly on Wednesday after they allegedly assaulted a policeman. The MLAs have been suspended till the end of the year for assaulting a police officer in Vidhan Sabha.
A First Information Report (FIR) was registered against them on Tuesday by the victim, Assistant Police Inspector (API) Sachin Suryavanshi. He was allegedly beaten up by a group of MLAs including Vasai MLA Kshitij Thakur, MNS legislator Ram Kadam, Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent), among others, on the first floor of the Vidhan Bhavan.
Suryawanshi had allegedly stopped the vehicle of Kshitij Thakur on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link when the MLA was on his way to attend the legislative Assembly session.
Thakur was reportedly fined because his vehicle had exceeded the speed limit. There was an altercation between the legislator and the policeman, during which the latter allegedly misbehaved with Thakur.
This morning, Thakur, who represents the Vasai assembly constituency, moved a breach of privilege notice against Suryavanshi and gave a detailed account of the policeman`s "misbehaviour."
Angered by Thakur`s information, members cutting across party lines demanded the policeman`s suspension. Suryavanshi was sitting in the visitor`s gallery at that time and some of the MLAs saw Suryavanshi in the visitors` gallery making "provocative" gestures with his hand and was looking down at the assembly members.
They caught hold of Suryavanshi at the entrance to the visitors’ gallery on the first floor and allegedly thrashed him.
The accused have been booked under IPC sections 143 (unlawful Assembly), 341 (wrongful restraint), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) and 506 (ii) (criminal intimidation), the officer added.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list