Hardcore woman naxalite arrested in Maharashtra
Nagpur: A young woman naxalite, who is facing 62 criminal charges and against whom 22 non-bailable warrants have been issued, has been arrested in a swift operation in Gadchiroli naxal hotbed of Maharashtra, police said on Saturday.
Identified as Vasanti alias Savita Pandu Potem, the 25-year-old joined the naxal movement in 2004 and was Dalam Commander in Ganglur in Bijapur district in neighbouring Chhattisgarh between 2006 and 2010.
Her husband Madhu was also a hardcore naxalite and operated in Andhra Pradesh. He died in 2006.
Vasanti was produced before a court in Gadchiroli and was handed over to Bijapur Police yesterday, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes