HC bench recuses from hearing PIL on CBI probe against Gadkari
Mumbai: A division bench of Bombay High Court on Thursday recused itself from hearing a PIL seeking a CBI probe against former BJP president Nitin Gadkari for alleged financial embezzlement committed by him during his tenure as the Maharashtra PWD minister in the mid 90s.
The PIL filed by former journalist Ketan Tirodkar has sought probe against Gadkari for his company Purti Power and Sugar Ltd`s dealings with IRB Infrastructure Developers Ltd.
According to the PIL, between 1995 and 1999 IRB won several contracts for road construction when Gadkari was PWD minister. "In return of this favour, IRB issued loans of Rs 164 crore to Gadkari`s Purti Power and Sugar Ltd," it alleged.
The petition came up for hearing before a division bench of Justices PV Hardas and AM Thipsay.
Justice Hardas after perusing the petition, however, said he cannot hear this matter without assigning any reason.
The petition will now be placed before another bench of the High Court.
The PIL further alleged 16 companies holding major shares in Purti Group bear bogus addresses.
"There is a rising tendency among politicians across different partylines to establish nefarious nexus with businessmen and float fraudulent front companies to launder black money earned out of corruption," the petition alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?