HC bench recuses from hearing PIL on CBI probe against Gadkari
Mumbai: A division bench of Bombay High Court on Thursday recused itself from hearing a PIL seeking a CBI probe against former BJP president Nitin Gadkari for alleged financial embezzlement committed by him during his tenure as the Maharashtra PWD minister in the mid 90s.
The PIL filed by former journalist Ketan Tirodkar has sought probe against Gadkari for his company Purti Power and Sugar Ltd`s dealings with IRB Infrastructure Developers Ltd.
According to the PIL, between 1995 and 1999 IRB won several contracts for road construction when Gadkari was PWD minister. "In return of this favour, IRB issued loans of Rs 164 crore to Gadkari`s Purti Power and Sugar Ltd," it alleged.
The petition came up for hearing before a division bench of Justices PV Hardas and AM Thipsay.
Justice Hardas after perusing the petition, however, said he cannot hear this matter without assigning any reason.
The petition will now be placed before another bench of the High Court.
The PIL further alleged 16 companies holding major shares in Purti Group bear bogus addresses.
"There is a rising tendency among politicians across different partylines to establish nefarious nexus with businessmen and float fraudulent front companies to launder black money earned out of corruption," the petition alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof