In Maharashtra, 47% homes are without toilets
Mumbai: A staggering 46.9 per cent households in Maharashtra do not have toilet facility though 69 per cent homes boast of telephone/mobile phones, while 56.8 per cent have television sets in the State.
These facts were revealed in the Economic Survey for 2012-13, which was tabled in the State legislature today.
Sanitation facilities are lacking in 62 per cent of rural households and 28.7 per cent urban homes, it said.
About 34 per cent household members resorted to open defecation, while 12.9 per cent reported use of public toilet.
The highest proportion of households having toilet facility within premises was found in Sindhudurg district (75.9%) while the lowest proportion was in Beed (25.1%).
About 64.3 per cent households reported having bathroom with covered roof and 14.6 per cent homes used open space (ie without any enclosure).
In urban areas 86.0 per cent households had bathroom in their premises but in rural areas this proportion was just 46.2 per cent, the survey said.
About 4.6 per cent households in urban areas and 22.9 per cent in rural areas did not have any type of bathroom.
The proportion of households using tap water as main source of drinking water in urban areas was 89.1 per cent and in rural areas it was 50.2 per cent.
Lowest proportion of households having tap water as main source was reported in Gondia district (17.5%) and Gadchiroli district (19.5 per cent).
Electricity as the main source of lighting was reported by 83.9 per cent households. Kerosene was the second main source of lighting, but proportion of households reporting use of kerosene was found to be only 14.5 per cent.
According to the survey, 96.2 per cent urban homes and 73.8 per cent rural households reported use of electricity as source of lighting, the survey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi