Jitendra Awhad frontrunner for Maharashtra NCP chief`s post
Mumbai: NCP legislator from adjoining Thane, Jitendra Awhad, has emerged frontrunner for the post of the party`s chief of Maharashtra unit, after incumbent Madhukar Pichad was sworn-in as Cabinet minister earlier this week.
The new state NCP president would be announced here tomorrow.
Pichad was among the six ministers, including five from NCP and an associate member, inducted into the state ministry on Tuesday.
"There is a view that Awhad, as state unit chief, will be able to galvanise the young voters and counter the BJP`s strategy of appointing the young Devendra Fadnavis as its state unit president," NCP sources told a news agency.
The name of former minister Bhaskar Jadhav is also doing the rounds, but there are indications that the party leadership has zeroed in on Awhad`s name, the sources said.
The appointment of the new state NCP chief assumes significance as the party gears for the 2014 Lok Sabha and Maharashtra Assembly Elections.
The Sharad Pawar-led party dropped six of its 20 ministers in Tuesday`s exercise. The NCP is in coalition with the Congress in the state.
Last week, Pawar, in a surprise move, asked all the 20 ministers of his party to submit their resignations. "There was a feeling that if new faces aren`t brought in, the party`s younger leadership will soon be demoralised and will start feeling restive," a party leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'