Kanhaiyalal Gidwani claims nothing illegal in Adarsh society
Mumbai: One of the chief promoters of the controversial Adarsh society and former Congress MLC, Kanhaiyalal Gidwani on Saturday said the society was formed as per
rules and there was nothing illegal about it.
"The society was formed as per the due process and there was nothing illegal. We are ready for any kind of enquiry," Gidwani told reporters here.
The former MLC said there were no reservations for defence personnel or Kargil war widows in the society and added that the land belonged to the state Government.
"Let anyone prove that the land belonged to the Defence and I would return my flats," he said.
Gidwani owns three flats in the building, one in his name and two belong to his sons.
He claimed that other members of the society were given membership depending on the eligibility criteria. Also the collector, the BMC and the MMRDA authorities approved the plan of the building.
Earlier, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan offered his resignation to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi in Delhi over the embarrassing housing scam. Gidwani, however, refused to comment on the CM`s move.
A controversy erupted over how Adarsh Co-operative Housing Society, originally meant to be a six-storeyed structure to house Kargil war heroes and widows, got converted
into a 31-storey tower through collusion of bureaucrats, politicians and top defence officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened