Local elections are mini-general elections: Chavan
Pune: Congress leaders from Maharashtra, led
by the Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Monday took a stock of
the party`s prospects in the coming local self-government
bodies elections in the state, and the measures to counter
NCP, the ruling coalition partner, at the hustings.
Urging the party workers to bury the differences and
galvanise the party machinery to face the elections in Western
Maharashtra which is an NCP stronghold, Chavan said workers
would have to go to the people and convince them that Congress
was committed to "good and transparent governance".
"Congress, facing constraints of coalition government
both at the state and the central level, has always taken
action against its erring leaders, showing courage which no
other party is capable of," Chavan said.
The Chief Minister said the credit for unearthing of the
recent scams should go to the Congress and its president Sonia
Gandhi, who facilitated passage of Right to Information Act.
In an apparent reference to fresh revelations in the 2G
spectrum case and controversy surrounding Union Home Minister
P Chidambaram, Chavan said, "This too has surfaced through the
RTI. Confusion is created when there is a hair-splitting over
a noting on a file." He added that court would take a proper
decision in the matter.
Describing the coming local self government polls as
"mini-general elections", Chavan noted Congress and NCP were
facing the polls independently, though both the parties had
electoral alliance for Assembly and parliamentary elections
since 1999, when the Congress split.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!