Maha Govt orders CID probe into BMC contracts
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government today ordered a CID probe into the tenders floated by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to the tune of Rs 152 crore and subsequent contracts awarded by it for cleaning of nullahs and
Minister of State for Urban Development, Bhaskar Jadhav
told the Legislative Assembly that contractors, who are
repeatedly hired despite failing to complete the previous
works, would be blacklisted.
"There is a suspicion that contracts were given in
places where there is no silt," Jadhav said while ordering the
Congress, the principal opposition party in the civic
body ruled by the Shiv Sena-BJP combine, had demanded a CID
probe into the tenders over BMC`s alleged failure to comply to
its undertaking of completing cleaning of nullahs by June 5.
Legislators Madhu Chavan, Amin Patel and others had
sought a CID probe alleging desilting of the nullahs in the
eastern and western suburbs is still incomplete.
"The work is going on at a snail`s pace," they
Demanding a CID inquiry, Patel said tenders worth Rs 152
crore were invited and contractors who did not comply with the
deadlines were awarded the works.
Meanwhile, the Leader of Opposition, Eknath Khadse,
described the announcement as "politically motivated with an
eye on the 2012 civic polls" and demanded to withdraw it.
Ravindra Waikar of Shiv Sena who had served as the
Chairman of the BMC Standing Committee, said the municipal
corporation had installed Global Positioning System (GPS) to
track vehicles carrying the silt.
Accusing the government of encroaching upon the rights
of the BMC, Khadse said, "The government is turning a blind`s
eye to the allegations of corruption against its own
Another BJP leader Mangalprabhat Lodha demanded that
the government allocate a separate budget of Rs 1000 crore
for cleaning the drains in all the civic bodies and zilla
parishads in the state.
Replying to it, Jadhav informed the Centre had already
sanctioned Rs 1200 crore for the BRIMSTOWAD project in Mumbai
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview