Maha: Govt to set up pvt weather centres
Pune: An erratic monsoon coupled with not so accurate Met Department predictions has spurred the Maharashtra Government to accelerate the proposed installation of over 2,000 private Automatic Weather Stations (AWS) in the state.
The Rs 100-crore project, to be executed in the private- public partnership (PPP) model, will get underway from October next. It will offer weather and crop advisories to farmers in an effort to minimise their losses on account of uncertain climatic conditions.
Maharashtra Agriculture Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil confirmed the AWS modalities as worked out by the city-based State Agriculture Directorate.
Vikhe Patil, who was here to review a contingency plan for kharif crops, said a private weather forecaster agency - Skymet - had been engaged as a consultant to give effect to the project for which tenders would be floated soon.
Noting that IMD (India Meteorological Department) weather predictions, on which the Agriculture Department heavily depends, had at times not been so accurate, he said the alternative system of weather forecasting for farmers, with specific inputs, was expected to stand them in good stead in terms of decision-making for farming operations.
The Agriculture Directorate officials said in view of a weak monsoon in the state in June, the Agriculture Universities had worked out advisories on alternative crop pattern to suit rain-starved regions.
According to the latest survey, only eight per cent of sowing operations for the kharif crop this season had been completed, which was much less than 13 per cent registered in the corresponding period last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS