Maharashtra: BJP stakes claim for Oppn Leader post
Mumbai: The BJP, which got two more seats than ally Shiv Sena in the Maharashtra Assembly poll, has staked claim on the post of the Leader of Opposition in the Assembly, held by the latter for the last 10 years.
With 46 of its candidates elected in the polls, the BJP
stood at the third position in the state, while the Sena was
relegated to the fourth position with 44 candidates.
"As per the rules, we have more number of MLAs after the
ruling alliance. So it is obvious we will get the post of
Leader of Opposition in the Assembly," state BJP general
secretary Vinod Tawade said.
However, there has been no discussion on the issue in the
party and between the allies so far, Tawade said.
The Sena is also facing an embarrassment with the defeat
of its leader Ramdas Kadam, who was Leader of the Opposition
for the past five years. In BJP, Jalgaon MLA Eknath Khadse`s
name is being discussed for the position.
However, the Sena is not ready to let go of the post
easily. It is seeking the support of four candidates of the
PWP, who won with its backing and a former Sena activist Vivek
Pandit, who won Independent from Vasai in Thane district.
Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray is holding a
meeting with newly-elected MLAs today to decide on the issue.
The BJP has also convened its first meeting on Friday
which will be addressed by BJP general secretary Gopinath
Munde and state president Nitin Gadkari.
A Sena source said if the position is taken by the BJP,
it will also claim the deputy speaker`s post in the Assembly,
usually held by the Opposition.
"The BJP has to give us the post either in the Assembly
or in Council. In similar manner, the post for Deputy Speaker
and Deputy Chairman (in Council) will be decided," the source
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe