Maharashtra Lok Adalat settles 1.92 lakh cases
Nagpur: The 5th Lok Adalat held in the district resolved 26,504 cases, as per the statistics provided by the Maharashtra District Legal Services Authority (MDLSA).
The 5th Maha Lok Adalats conducted last Sunday all over the state helped reduce pendency of cases in the courts by as many as 1.92 lakh cases across 32 districts of Maharashtra, according to MDLSA statistics.
In Nagpur, it helped settle 26,504 cases that were clogging the legal system, including a 47-year-old dispute.
Lok Adalats have resolved as many as 9.87 lakh cases in two years since their inception on February 6, 2011.
In Nagpur, 1.73 lakh cases have been settled through Lok Adalats` five episodes so far.
DLSA Nagpur secretary and senior civil judge Kishor Jaiswal said the district`s performance was most impressive as it achieved 94 percent success in settlement of cases and helped reduce pendency by 8 percent.
"Out of 28,000 cases, the courts have resolved 26,504 which is impressive. In Pune, out 1.20 lakh cases, only 34,000 were settled while in Thane, out of 80,000 cases, 35,000 were settled," he said.
Resolving cases through this massive exercise not only saved time and money for litigants but also helped them reduce stress, he said.
"In the last couple of years, over 1.5 lakh matters were resolved before the parties knocked judiciary`s doors," he said.
However, despite reducing pendency through this exercise, the number of pending cases was still very high at 28.87 lakh across the state, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested