Man gets 9 yrs imprisonment for mugging woman on train
Mumbai: A sessions court here on Wednesday convicted a 41-year-old man for assaulting and robbing a woman on a train, and sentenced him to nine years` rigorous imprisonment.
According to the Dadar Railway Police, Manjusha Marva (40), the victim, was travelling to Mumbai by Devnagri Express on January 12, 2012. As the train crossed Dadar terminus, Mohammed Sheikh, the accused, got into the ladies coach near Parel station in the city.
Seeing Marva alone in the coach, he tried to strangle her with her dupatta and assaulted her.
Later, Sheikh snatched the woman`s mobile phone before jumping off the running train.
"The key to cracking the case was the IMEI number of the mobile. We traced the number and the accused was immediately apprehended," said a Dadar railway police official.
The prosecution relied on witnesses from the mobile company to prove the case. Further, Marva herself identified the accused in the court.
Accepting the prosecution`s case, the court convicted Sheikh and sentenced him to nine years` imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today