Man gets 9 yrs imprisonment for mugging woman on train
Mumbai: A sessions court here on Wednesday convicted a 41-year-old man for assaulting and robbing a woman on a train, and sentenced him to nine years` rigorous imprisonment.
According to the Dadar Railway Police, Manjusha Marva (40), the victim, was travelling to Mumbai by Devnagri Express on January 12, 2012. As the train crossed Dadar terminus, Mohammed Sheikh, the accused, got into the ladies coach near Parel station in the city.
Seeing Marva alone in the coach, he tried to strangle her with her dupatta and assaulted her.
Later, Sheikh snatched the woman`s mobile phone before jumping off the running train.
"The key to cracking the case was the IMEI number of the mobile. We traced the number and the accused was immediately apprehended," said a Dadar railway police official.
The prosecution relied on witnesses from the mobile company to prove the case. Further, Marva herself identified the accused in the court.
Accepting the prosecution`s case, the court convicted Sheikh and sentenced him to nine years` imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read