Man gets 9 yrs imprisonment for mugging woman on train
Mumbai: A sessions court here on Wednesday convicted a 41-year-old man for assaulting and robbing a woman on a train, and sentenced him to nine years` rigorous imprisonment.
According to the Dadar Railway Police, Manjusha Marva (40), the victim, was travelling to Mumbai by Devnagri Express on January 12, 2012. As the train crossed Dadar terminus, Mohammed Sheikh, the accused, got into the ladies coach near Parel station in the city.
Seeing Marva alone in the coach, he tried to strangle her with her dupatta and assaulted her.
Later, Sheikh snatched the woman`s mobile phone before jumping off the running train.
"The key to cracking the case was the IMEI number of the mobile. We traced the number and the accused was immediately apprehended," said a Dadar railway police official.
The prosecution relied on witnesses from the mobile company to prove the case. Further, Marva herself identified the accused in the court.
Accepting the prosecution`s case, the court convicted Sheikh and sentenced him to nine years` imprisonment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living