Man gets 9 yrs imprisonment for mugging woman on train
Mumbai: A sessions court here on Wednesday convicted a 41-year-old man for assaulting and robbing a woman on a train, and sentenced him to nine years` rigorous imprisonment.
According to the Dadar Railway Police, Manjusha Marva (40), the victim, was travelling to Mumbai by Devnagri Express on January 12, 2012. As the train crossed Dadar terminus, Mohammed Sheikh, the accused, got into the ladies coach near Parel station in the city.
Seeing Marva alone in the coach, he tried to strangle her with her dupatta and assaulted her.
Later, Sheikh snatched the woman`s mobile phone before jumping off the running train.
"The key to cracking the case was the IMEI number of the mobile. We traced the number and the accused was immediately apprehended," said a Dadar railway police official.
The prosecution relied on witnesses from the mobile company to prove the case. Further, Marva herself identified the accused in the court.
Accepting the prosecution`s case, the court convicted Sheikh and sentenced him to nine years` imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried