Mumbai civic body to discuss allowing helipads on rooftops
Mumbai: The proposal to allow helipads atop residential buildings in the metropolis would come up for discussion on Friday at a meeting of the local civic body.
Amid concerns over security and environment issues raised in certain quarters, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation`s (BMC) Improvements Committee will deliberate on whether to make any change in the rules to allow it, officials said.
Following the Maharashtra government`s directives to amend the Development Control (DC) rules, the civic administration would discuss including Clause 71 which will allow setting up of helipads on private buildings.
According to guidelines, such helipads should be built as per the directives of Civil Aviation Ministry and Director General of Civil Aviation. Also, structural audit of the
building is mandatory to determine its strength.
The proposal also gives the BMC the liberty to build helipads on rooftop of civic-run hospitals and BEST Bhavan provided the buildings are strong.
Earlier, corporators had expressed concern over helipads on rooftops citing security and environment issues. But the government has asked them to discuss the issue afresh.
Union Environment and Forest Minister Jairam Ramesh had opposed the construction on health and security grounds.
Several applications seeking nod to construct helipads on private buildings, including those from industrialist Mukesh Ambani and builder Vicky Oberoi, are pending with BMC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says