Mumbai civic body to discuss allowing helipads on rooftops
Mumbai: The proposal to allow helipads atop residential buildings in the metropolis would come up for discussion on Friday at a meeting of the local civic body.
Amid concerns over security and environment issues raised in certain quarters, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation`s (BMC) Improvements Committee will deliberate on whether to make any change in the rules to allow it, officials said.
Following the Maharashtra government`s directives to amend the Development Control (DC) rules, the civic administration would discuss including Clause 71 which will allow setting up of helipads on private buildings.
According to guidelines, such helipads should be built as per the directives of Civil Aviation Ministry and Director General of Civil Aviation. Also, structural audit of the
building is mandatory to determine its strength.
The proposal also gives the BMC the liberty to build helipads on rooftop of civic-run hospitals and BEST Bhavan provided the buildings are strong.
Earlier, corporators had expressed concern over helipads on rooftops citing security and environment issues. But the government has asked them to discuss the issue afresh.
Union Environment and Forest Minister Jairam Ramesh had opposed the construction on health and security grounds.
Several applications seeking nod to construct helipads on private buildings, including those from industrialist Mukesh Ambani and builder Vicky Oberoi, are pending with BMC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj