Mumbai police chief asks ATCs to probe trail of missing youths
Mumbai: Amid reports of four youth from Kalyan joining ISIS jehadists fighting in Iraq and Syria, the city police chief Rakesh Maria has asked the Crime Branch and Anti-Terror Cells to be on alert and probe the trail of youths missing from their areas.
The circular, issued recently to all 93 police stations in the metropolis, asks the Crime Branch and ATCs to examine the profiles of young people in the vulnerable age group on the social networking websites and also their call data records to see if they had any links with terror groups, a police officer said speaking on condition of anonymity.
Sunni militants of Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have captured vast swathes in the two countries and established a Caliphate under Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
The radical group has asked the youth from across the world to join their global jihad.
Four men in their 20s -- Arif Majeed, Sahim Tankhi, Fahad Sheikh and Aman Tandel -- from Kalyan in neighbouring Thane district, missing since May and were suspected to be fighting alongside ISIS jehadists in Iraq, though their families have denied it.
Thane Additional Commissioner of Police (East) Sharad Shelar refused to speak anything about the missing youth except that the "matter was under investigation".
The circular has reference to terror attacks at various places in the past, including Maharashtra, during the "festival season".
It also spoke of instances of misuse of social media that caused disharmony, affecting the economy and resulting in loss of human life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!