NCP tells Chavan not to take unilateral decision on FDI
Mumbai: Ally NCP has asked Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan not to take any decision regarding implementation of multi-brand FDI in retail in the state without consulting it, even though the party voted in favour of the move in the Lok Sabha.
A letter signed by NCP state president Madhukar Pichad was delivered to Chavan by former Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar Wednesday night.
The party has said the issue of implementation needs to be discussed in the co-ordination committee first.
"We have issues which need to be discussed and clarified. There are Mathadi labour unions, Market committees and we have to ensure that their interests are not harmed while implementing FDI in retail," Pichad said.
The coalition partner in Maharashtra government has told Chavan that no one-sided decision should be taken.
The UPA government of which NCP is a key constituent at the Centre won approval for FDI in Lok Sabha yesterday after the Opposition motion seeking immediate withdrawal of the decision was rejected as the BSP and SP walked out.
218 voted in favour of the Opposition motion, while 253 voted against it in the House where 471 members participated in the voting. The total strength of the House is 545.
Yesterday, soon after the voting, NCP leader Praful Patel said that his party did not support implementation of the decision in Maharashtra.
"In Maharashtra, we have a coalition government (with Congress).We will meet, discuss its merits and demerits and then decide on our party`s stand which will be conveyed," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH