Oberoi reopens on April 24
Mumbai: The Oberoi, one of the three luxury
hotels which was stormed by militants nearly 17 months ago in
the city, will reopen this weekend.
The Oberoi, Mumbai will finally welcome back guests on
April 24 following an extensive renovation work.
East India Hotels has said that the total cost of
renovation of its Oberoi property in south Mumbai, which was
severely damaged during the November 2008 terrorist attacks in
the city, is expected to be around Rs 160-180 crore.
"We have not yet assessed the total cost. But it
(renovation cost) is between USD 35-40 million," Oberoi Hotels
& Resorts` President, Liam Lambert, told reporters here today.
Lambert said the total insurance claim for damage to the
property and loss of profit were still being assessed.
The hotel has received Rs 62-crore from the insurer, New
India Assurance, he said.
"It (the insurance claim) is still being assessed by the
New India Assurance. However, we have received an insurance
payment of Rs 62-crore. The insurance is for two things --
loss of profit as well as damage to the property," Lambert
The Oberoi has been shut since the 26/11 attacks, unlike
the adjoining Trident and Hotel Taj Mahal both of which
partially reopened soon afterwards.
Lambert said that post renovation, the number of guest
rooms have been reduced from 327 to 287 but the number of
suites have increased as there is a demand for larger rooms.
"The number of suites have been increased to 73 from 23.
We feel that arrivals in India will increase substantially in
the next five years. The demand for luxury rooms will continue
to grow as the customers look for space," he said.
Oberoi Hotels and Resorts` Executive Vice President
(Mumbai), Devendra Bharma, however, said that the hotel was
expected to wrap up the on-going negotiations on the total
insurance claim shortly.
"I think soon. May be in the next one month or so,"
The hotel was expected to register a 30-35 per cent
occupancy during the summers (April-June period), Bharma said,
adding it would pick up from winter onwards.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!