Oberoi reopens on April 24
Mumbai: The Oberoi, one of the three luxury
hotels which was stormed by militants nearly 17 months ago in
the city, will reopen this weekend.
The Oberoi, Mumbai will finally welcome back guests on
April 24 following an extensive renovation work.
East India Hotels has said that the total cost of
renovation of its Oberoi property in south Mumbai, which was
severely damaged during the November 2008 terrorist attacks in
the city, is expected to be around Rs 160-180 crore.
"We have not yet assessed the total cost. But it
(renovation cost) is between USD 35-40 million," Oberoi Hotels
& Resorts` President, Liam Lambert, told reporters here today.
Lambert said the total insurance claim for damage to the
property and loss of profit were still being assessed.
The hotel has received Rs 62-crore from the insurer, New
India Assurance, he said.
"It (the insurance claim) is still being assessed by the
New India Assurance. However, we have received an insurance
payment of Rs 62-crore. The insurance is for two things --
loss of profit as well as damage to the property," Lambert
The Oberoi has been shut since the 26/11 attacks, unlike
the adjoining Trident and Hotel Taj Mahal both of which
partially reopened soon afterwards.
Lambert said that post renovation, the number of guest
rooms have been reduced from 327 to 287 but the number of
suites have increased as there is a demand for larger rooms.
"The number of suites have been increased to 73 from 23.
We feel that arrivals in India will increase substantially in
the next five years. The demand for luxury rooms will continue
to grow as the customers look for space," he said.
Oberoi Hotels and Resorts` Executive Vice President
(Mumbai), Devendra Bharma, however, said that the hotel was
expected to wrap up the on-going negotiations on the total
insurance claim shortly.
"I think soon. May be in the next one month or so,"
The hotel was expected to register a 30-35 per cent
occupancy during the summers (April-June period), Bharma said,
adding it would pick up from winter onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation