Oberoi reopens on April 24
Mumbai: The Oberoi, one of the three luxury
hotels which was stormed by militants nearly 17 months ago in
the city, will reopen this weekend.
The Oberoi, Mumbai will finally welcome back guests on
April 24 following an extensive renovation work.
East India Hotels has said that the total cost of
renovation of its Oberoi property in south Mumbai, which was
severely damaged during the November 2008 terrorist attacks in
the city, is expected to be around Rs 160-180 crore.
"We have not yet assessed the total cost. But it
(renovation cost) is between USD 35-40 million," Oberoi Hotels
& Resorts` President, Liam Lambert, told reporters here today.
Lambert said the total insurance claim for damage to the
property and loss of profit were still being assessed.
The hotel has received Rs 62-crore from the insurer, New
India Assurance, he said.
"It (the insurance claim) is still being assessed by the
New India Assurance. However, we have received an insurance
payment of Rs 62-crore. The insurance is for two things --
loss of profit as well as damage to the property," Lambert
The Oberoi has been shut since the 26/11 attacks, unlike
the adjoining Trident and Hotel Taj Mahal both of which
partially reopened soon afterwards.
Lambert said that post renovation, the number of guest
rooms have been reduced from 327 to 287 but the number of
suites have increased as there is a demand for larger rooms.
"The number of suites have been increased to 73 from 23.
We feel that arrivals in India will increase substantially in
the next five years. The demand for luxury rooms will continue
to grow as the customers look for space," he said.
Oberoi Hotels and Resorts` Executive Vice President
(Mumbai), Devendra Bharma, however, said that the hotel was
expected to wrap up the on-going negotiations on the total
insurance claim shortly.
"I think soon. May be in the next one month or so,"
The hotel was expected to register a 30-35 per cent
occupancy during the summers (April-June period), Bharma said,
adding it would pick up from winter onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!