Patnaik`s "promotion" insult to public sentiment: BJP
Mumbai: The Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra had insulted the public sentiment by "promoting" Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik, state BJP said on Thursday.
"Home Minister R R Patil has claimed that government has promoted Patnaik considering his good work," state BJP spokesperson Madhav Bhandari said here.
Patil`s statement came against the backdrop of attacks on police and molestation of women police personnel during August 11 violence at Mumbai`s Azad Maidan, Bhandari noted.
"May be, Patil wants to suggest that what happened at Azad Maidan under Patnaik`s supervision was the IPS officer`s success and good work," he said.
There was demand from all quarters that Patnaik be transferred for failing to curb the violence, but this demand was turned down, and by claiming that Patnaik was promoted for his good work, Patil had insulted sentiments of people in Mumbai and Maharashtra, the BJP leader said.
This also proved right the allegation that August 11 riot had blessings of higher-ups in the government, Bhandari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!