Patnaik`s "promotion" insult to public sentiment: BJP
Mumbai: The Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra had insulted the public sentiment by "promoting" Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik, state BJP said on Thursday.
"Home Minister R R Patil has claimed that government has promoted Patnaik considering his good work," state BJP spokesperson Madhav Bhandari said here.
Patil`s statement came against the backdrop of attacks on police and molestation of women police personnel during August 11 violence at Mumbai`s Azad Maidan, Bhandari noted.
"May be, Patil wants to suggest that what happened at Azad Maidan under Patnaik`s supervision was the IPS officer`s success and good work," he said.
There was demand from all quarters that Patnaik be transferred for failing to curb the violence, but this demand was turned down, and by claiming that Patnaik was promoted for his good work, Patil had insulted sentiments of people in Mumbai and Maharashtra, the BJP leader said.
This also proved right the allegation that August 11 riot had blessings of higher-ups in the government, Bhandari said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma