Patnaik`s "promotion" insult to public sentiment: BJP
Mumbai: The Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra had insulted the public sentiment by "promoting" Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik, state BJP said on Thursday.
"Home Minister R R Patil has claimed that government has promoted Patnaik considering his good work," state BJP spokesperson Madhav Bhandari said here.
Patil`s statement came against the backdrop of attacks on police and molestation of women police personnel during August 11 violence at Mumbai`s Azad Maidan, Bhandari noted.
"May be, Patil wants to suggest that what happened at Azad Maidan under Patnaik`s supervision was the IPS officer`s success and good work," he said.
There was demand from all quarters that Patnaik be transferred for failing to curb the violence, but this demand was turned down, and by claiming that Patnaik was promoted for his good work, Patil had insulted sentiments of people in Mumbai and Maharashtra, the BJP leader said.
This also proved right the allegation that August 11 riot had blessings of higher-ups in the government, Bhandari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred