Pawar tells public representatives to earn respect
Mumbai: Union minister and NCP leader Sharad Pawar on Saturday asked public representatives to behave in a way that people respect them, remarks which come in the backdrop of a group of legislators thrashing a cop on Assembly premises.
"Honour is not had by asking, one has to earn it. You should earn that honour through your (good) behaviour," Pawar said at the concluding function of the Yashwantrao Chavan birth centenary celebrations.
Yashwantrao Chavan was the first chief minister of Maharashtra.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Union ministers Sushilkumar Shinde and Praful Patel, Governor K Sankaranarayanan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan were among those present.
"Late Chavan used to say that the administration and elected representatives are two wheels of a vehicle. I am beginning to suspect that one wheel is slipping," Pawar said.
Dwelling on what Chavan felt about relations between the administration and the political class, the chief minister observed that "there was a need for coordination between the two".
"At a time when the government and administration are under flak from people and media, the late Chavan`s thoughts on the issue become even more relevant", the chief minister, said.
The President remembered his tenure as minister of state, when late Chavan was the Union finance minister. "He was a towering personality and was one of the makers of the new India and also the architect of Maharashtra," Mukherjee said.
"Chavan was a great consensus builder. Whenever there was a crisis at the national level, his services were sought to resolve the issue," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?