Pawar tells public representatives to earn respect
Mumbai: Union minister and NCP leader Sharad Pawar on Saturday asked public representatives to behave in a way that people respect them, remarks which come in the backdrop of a group of legislators thrashing a cop on Assembly premises.
"Honour is not had by asking, one has to earn it. You should earn that honour through your (good) behaviour," Pawar said at the concluding function of the Yashwantrao Chavan birth centenary celebrations.
Yashwantrao Chavan was the first chief minister of Maharashtra.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Union ministers Sushilkumar Shinde and Praful Patel, Governor K Sankaranarayanan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan were among those present.
"Late Chavan used to say that the administration and elected representatives are two wheels of a vehicle. I am beginning to suspect that one wheel is slipping," Pawar said.
Dwelling on what Chavan felt about relations between the administration and the political class, the chief minister observed that "there was a need for coordination between the two".
"At a time when the government and administration are under flak from people and media, the late Chavan`s thoughts on the issue become even more relevant", the chief minister, said.
The President remembered his tenure as minister of state, when late Chavan was the Union finance minister. "He was a towering personality and was one of the makers of the new India and also the architect of Maharashtra," Mukherjee said.
"Chavan was a great consensus builder. Whenever there was a crisis at the national level, his services were sought to resolve the issue," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA