Pay Diwali bonus to 40,000 employees: HC to BMC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday asked Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to pay Rs 11,000 as ex-gratia for Diwali to each of its 40,000 employees who had struck work for two days last year.
Hearing a BMC appeal against the single judge order of the HC asking the civic body to pay ex-gratia amounting to about Rs 50 crore, a bench of Justices AM Khanvilkar and Mridula Bhatkar, however, stayed their order for four weeks to enable the corporation to move the Supreme Court.
The Bench asked the workers to give an undertaking that if the final order was delivered in favour of the civic body, they would return the bonus amount along with interest.
On September 19 and 20, 2011, BMC employees had gone on a strike to protest non-implementation of Sixth Pay Commission recommendations. The strike call was given by Municipal Mazdoor Union, Municipal Engineers` Union and Municipal Karmachari Kamgaar Sena.
The municipal employees did so despite an Industrial Tribunal`s ruling of September 17 prohibiting them from striking work. Subsequently, BMC decided not to pay Diwali bonus to the employees who had struck work. Aggrieved, the unions moved the Industrial Tribunal which, on April 17, 2012, asked the civic body to pay the bonus.
The BMC, India`s largest civic body whose annual budget is over Rs 20,000 crore, challenged the Tribunal`s order in the High Court which confirmed it. The civic body then filed an appeal before a Division Bench which was heard today.
Municipal Mazdoor union, led by NCP leader Sharad Rao, submitted before the HC that the strike was not illegal and workers were only exercising their constitutional right.
The single judge had agreed with the submission and directed the BMC to pay Rs 11,000 Diwali bonus to every worker along with interest of 12 percent. The court had earlier suggested the corporation and its employees to arrive at a compromise but that did not work out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in