PIL alleges ex-Mumba Sheriff clinging on to post
Mumbai: Bombay High Court has asked Maharashtra Government to explain its stand on a petition alleging that ex-Sheriff Indu Shahani still continued to enjoy privileges even though the post of Sheriff of Mumbai lying vacant for last few years.
Justice S F Vajifdar yesterday asked the government to explain what is the actual position in regard to the appointment of Sheriff of Mumbai in the last few years.
The matter was fixed for hearing tomorrow.
The petition alleged that Indu Shahani, Principal of H R College of Commerce, whose term as Sheriff of Mumbai expired in 2009, has been holding on to the post till date as no other person has been nominated for this position.
The petition alleged that Shahani was operating her private website called "sheriffofmumbai.Com. The name of the public post and Government seal (Rajmudra) is found on her website. The use of Government seal on website without any authority of law is an offence, the petition, filed by Haresh Lokegaonkar, a management consultant, claimed.
Even on the official website of H R College, where Shahani is the Principal, it is displayed on the front page "Sheriff of Mumbai--The Principal". This showed that she is still using the public post for personal benefit, the petition further alleged.
The petitioner contended that the post of Sheriff was a apolitical titular position of authority bestowed on a good citizen of Mumbai for a period of one year. The Sheriff is appointed by a Committee headed by the Chief Minister.
The petitioner further contended that he was also interested in becoming Sheriff of Mumbai and with that intention he had visited the Chief Minister`s office in the past but his plea was not entertained.
The Court was urged to restrain Shahani from functioning in the post and direct the Government to forthwith appoint a new person.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey