Power tariff reduction soon; toll tax review in a week: Prithiviraj Chavan
Nagpur: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan on Thursday said the state government will soon make an announcement in connection with reduction of power tariff while toll tax will be reviewed within a week`s time.
The government had appointed a sub-committee headed by Industries Minister Narayan Rane on November 19 which submitted its report recently. Accordingly, an announcement on giving further subsidy will be made on January 20, Chavan told reporters here.
Chavan, who was in the city to distribute the awards in the co-operative sector said the government was seriously reviewing the toll tax in the state and the minister concerned has been asked to prepare a detailed report on it.
Accordingly, the MSRTC buses plying outside city limit will be exempted from the burden of toll tax. The entire issue is being re-examined in the wake of protests in certain parts of the state, he said.
To a question on recovery of Rs 154 crore with penalty from Saoner Congress MLA Sunil Kedar, main accused in the security scam of Nagpur District Central Co-Operative Bank (NDCCB), Chavan said the issue is under process in the co-operative department.
The MLA had been directed to pay the sum within a month by the department of co-operatives.
He also said the state government has decided to rejuvenate Central Co-Operative Banks of Nagpur, Buldana and Akola districts.
The state government has already provided financial assistance to other co-op banks elsewhere in Maharashtra.
The demand to reduce power tariff in Maharashtra gained momentum after the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) announced a 50 per cent cut in electricity tariffs in Delhi soon after forming the government in December.
Elections to the Maharashtra Assembly are scheduled to held in September and October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!