`Probe against Nitesh Rane to be completed by March`
Mumbai: The CBI on Wednesday informed the Bombay
High Court that it would complete its investigation into the
attempt to murder case against Nitesh Rane, son of Maharashtra
Industries minister Narayan Rane, within four weeks and file a
CBI was handed over the probe into the case in March 2011
after the alleged victim, Chintu Shaikh, filed a petition in
the high court, claiming that the police are trying to shield
Nitesh and hence the case should be handed over to an
The probe agency in April last year had registered a case
against Nitesh and others for attempt to murder. However, no
arrests were made till date.
Nitesh is accused of firing at Shaikh, a former member of
his NGO Swabhimaan Sanghatana, in September 2010 at the NGO
office, following a verbal feud.
The high court was also informed today by Shaikh`s lawyer
that he was being threatened by Nitesh`s aides to withdraw the
case and that the police is yet to take a decision on an
application filed by him, seeking protection.
A division bench of Justices V M Kanade and P D Kode
directed the Commissioner of Police and Deputy Commissioner of
Police (Protection) to decide on Shaikh`s application within
On a lighter note, the court suggested Shaikh to join
the opposite political party to put an end to the harassment.
"The only remedy is to join some political party which
believes in retaliatory actions. We don`t want to name the
party," Justice Kanade said.
The court has disposed of Shaikh`s petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples