‘Runaway kids make Mumbai rly stations their home’
Mumbai: Over ten thousand children in the
age group of 10 to 15 years, who came here in the past six
years after running away from their homes for various reasons,
have been found taking shelter in the premises of the city
railway stations, police said on Sunday.
Out of 10,181 minor children, who came to Mumbai
either in pursuit of their dreams, to earn money or due to
family abuse, the Government Railway Police (GRP) has reunited
9,056 kids with their parents while 1125 children have been
sent to the reform centres in the city, they said.
Citing the statistics, police said 6508 boys and 3676
girls were found at the railway stations premises in the past
Among those reunited, 493 children are from various
states of the country and also from other countries such as
Bangladesh and Nepal and the rest are from Maharashtra.
In total 102 children were reunited in Uttar Pradesh
followed by 70 in Bihar, 55 in Gujarat, 54 in Delhi, 49 in
West Bengal and 34 in Andhra Pradesh respectively.
"The reasons for the children to come to Mumbai are
varied. Some are attracted towards the city, Bollywood or
(come) here to earn money while others come to Mumbai to get
rid of the abusive family members, frequent quarrelling of
parents and poverty," said Prabhat Kumar, Commissioner of
"Our men did their best to reunite them with their
parents. The children whose parents could not be found yet
have been sent to reform centres so that they do not get
addicted to alcohol, drugs, tobacco and other bad habits," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends