Sena MLA booked for threatening to "strip and thrash" woman
Mumbai: An FIR has been registered against Shiv Sena MLA Prakash Bala Sawant for allegedly threatening to "strip and thrash" a woman following an argument over a fight with regards to the redevelopment of a housing society in suburban Bandra, police said on Thursday.
"I will strip you in front of everyone and beat you up," Sawant allegedly said to the woman, as per her FIR registered against the MLA at Kherwadi police on Monday night.
"Based on complaint of the woman, who is in her 50s, the FIR has been registered against Sawant under sections 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of trust), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 509 (act intended to insult modesty of a woman) of the IPC," said Ashok Kadam, senior Inspector at the police station.
The woman and Sawant, who is the MLA from Bandra (East), have been sparring over the redevelopment of Gandhi Nagar Housing Society they reside in.
Police said there are a total of 36 Housing Board buildings in Gandhi Nagar Society and the redevelopment process has been on for several years and has led to the formation of several groups.
Both of them are committee members and are at disagreement about which builder should be selected for the redevelopment.
On Monday, the victim was walking towards her home when Sawant abused her and allegedly warned that he would strip her in front of everyone and thrash her, police said.
"We are looking for witnesses. After recording the statements of witnesses, we will decide next course of action," Kadam said.
Sawant was not immediately available for comments in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video