Seven members charred to death in Maharashtra
Amravati: Seven members of a family were charred to death as they slept when fire engulfed their shop cum residence in Paratwada village in this Maharashtra district early Sunday, police said.
The incident occurred around 2.30 a.m. in the sari shop and home of the Gothwal family, police official Ashok Ingle of Paratwada police station said.
"The preliminary cause of the blaze is suspected to be a short-circuit in the premises which was stocked with saris and dress materials. The entire Gothwal family, which was asleep in their residence above the shop, could not escape the flames," Ingle said.
Villagers helped the police to combat the blaze which claimed seven members off the Gothwal family.
They dead are Ravi R. Gothwal (30), Nikita R. Gothwal (25), Poonam A. Gothwal (30), Sheetal A. Gothwal (28), Ved A. Gothwal (4), Vedika A. Gothwal (3) and Vimal R. Gothwal (55), Ingle said.
The shop is situated in the usually bustling Tilak Chowk in the village which is around 55 km from Amravati, in eastern Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?