This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Seven members charred to death in Maharashtra

Last Updated: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 14:34

Amravati: Seven members of a family were charred to death as they slept when fire engulfed their shop cum residence in Paratwada village in this Maharashtra district early Sunday, police said.

The incident occurred around 2.30 a.m. in the sari shop and home of the Gothwal family, police official Ashok Ingle of Paratwada police station said.

"The preliminary cause of the blaze is suspected to be a short-circuit in the premises which was stocked with saris and dress materials. The entire Gothwal family, which was asleep in their residence above the shop, could not escape the flames," Ingle said.

Villagers helped the police to combat the blaze which claimed seven members off the Gothwal family.

They dead are Ravi R. Gothwal (30), Nikita R. Gothwal (25), Poonam A. Gothwal (30), Sheetal A. Gothwal (28), Ved A. Gothwal (4), Vedika A. Gothwal (3) and Vimal R. Gothwal (55), Ingle said.

The shop is situated in the usually bustling Tilak Chowk in the village which is around 55 km from Amravati, in eastern Maharashtra.

First Published: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 14:34

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus