Seven members charred to death in Maharashtra
Amravati: Seven members of a family were charred to death as they slept when fire engulfed their shop cum residence in Paratwada village in this Maharashtra district early Sunday, police said.
The incident occurred around 2.30 a.m. in the sari shop and home of the Gothwal family, police official Ashok Ingle of Paratwada police station said.
"The preliminary cause of the blaze is suspected to be a short-circuit in the premises which was stocked with saris and dress materials. The entire Gothwal family, which was asleep in their residence above the shop, could not escape the flames," Ingle said.
Villagers helped the police to combat the blaze which claimed seven members off the Gothwal family.
They dead are Ravi R. Gothwal (30), Nikita R. Gothwal (25), Poonam A. Gothwal (30), Sheetal A. Gothwal (28), Ved A. Gothwal (4), Vedika A. Gothwal (3) and Vimal R. Gothwal (55), Ingle said.
The shop is situated in the usually bustling Tilak Chowk in the village which is around 55 km from Amravati, in eastern Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note