Sharad Pawar targets Maha govt over women literacy rate
Amravati: NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Monday expressed dismay over "unimpressive" track record of Maharashtra government vis-a-vis the rate of women literacy in the state.
"When I was chief minister, I had launched a free education scheme for girls. It now appears that no progress has been achieved on this front even after 22 years", Pawar said addressing a rally of women activists of NCP here.
While smaller states like Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya have 98% literacy rate among women, Maharashtra cut a "sorry figure" as the literacy rate in most of its districts is still hovering in the range of 60 to 65 percent, he said.
The Union Agriculture Minister was quick to add that the women-centric composition of school committees in smaller states is the key towards achieving higher literacy among women.
"Smaller states could post better literacy rates because 75% members on specially set-up school committees who monitor attendance in schools consisted of mothers. Similar policy could be adopted in Maharashtra", he said.
Interestingly, the higher education ministry is represented by NCP.
Pawar said the state has achieved no progress on this front. "I am disappointed to know that higher education is not provided free to girls in the State. The government should at least take care of providing higher education to financially poor but meritorious girls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you