Sharad Pawar targets Maha govt over women literacy rate
Amravati: NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Monday expressed dismay over "unimpressive" track record of Maharashtra government vis-a-vis the rate of women literacy in the state.
"When I was chief minister, I had launched a free education scheme for girls. It now appears that no progress has been achieved on this front even after 22 years", Pawar said addressing a rally of women activists of NCP here.
While smaller states like Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya have 98% literacy rate among women, Maharashtra cut a "sorry figure" as the literacy rate in most of its districts is still hovering in the range of 60 to 65 percent, he said.
The Union Agriculture Minister was quick to add that the women-centric composition of school committees in smaller states is the key towards achieving higher literacy among women.
"Smaller states could post better literacy rates because 75% members on specially set-up school committees who monitor attendance in schools consisted of mothers. Similar policy could be adopted in Maharashtra", he said.
Interestingly, the higher education ministry is represented by NCP.
Pawar said the state has achieved no progress on this front. "I am disappointed to know that higher education is not provided free to girls in the State. The government should at least take care of providing higher education to financially poor but meritorious girls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested