Sharad Pawar`s visit to Vidarbha disappointing, says farmers` group
Nagpur: A farmers` advocacy group on Tuesday termed Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar`s recent tour to Vidarbha as "disappointing" for cotton farmers, saying he ignored their main demands.
Farmers` widows had waited for Pawar to come and listen to their woes but it did not happen, Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti president Kishore Tiwari said in a release issued here.
He ignored the farmers` main demands such as a higher minimum support price (MSP) for cotton and fresh bank credit to all defaulter farmers, Tiwari alleged.
Crop failed in several acres of land, while roads and bridges were damaged on a large scale, needing urgent repairs, but the state government has not submitted its final assessment report so far, the release said.
Pawar had been on a three-day visit to the excess rain-hit Vidarbha region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets