Siddiqui killed for bragging about Pune temple attack: Cops
Pune: A boast by Qateel Siddiqui about making a second attempt to plant a bomb at famous Shrimant Dagdusheth Halwai Ganpati temple prompted jailed gangsters Alok Bhalerao and Sharad Mohol to eliminate him at Yerawada prison near here, according to the chargesheet filed by city police in murder of the Indian Mujahideen operative.
Sharad Mohol and Alok Bhalerao--in jail for an offence under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act--were named in the 81-page chargesheet filed by police in the court of Judicial Magistrate first class S S Patil yesterday for the June 8 murder of Siddiqui (26) inside his `anda` cell at the high-security jail, Yerawada police station inspector Kishore Jadhav said on Wednesday.
According to chargesheet, what triggered the murder was Siddiqui telling Bhalerao, when he was taking a stroll outside his `anda` cell, that he would not hesitate in planting a bomb again at the famous temple once released from the jail.
Siddiqui was earlier arrested by the Delhi police on November 22, 2011 and then handed over to the Maharashtra ATS on May 3 to facilitate the probe into an attempt to plant a bomb near the Dagdusheth Ganapati temple on February 13, 2010 the day of the German Bakery blast.
Siddiqui`s plan to set off a blast at the temple could not materialise as an alert flower vendor prevented him from placing the bag containing explosives at his stall.
The chargesheet says Mohol and Bhalerao walked into the cell of Siddiqui on the morning of June 9 and strangulated him with a pair of drawstrings removed from two shorts.
Qateel, who hailed from Samastipur in Bihar, was allegedly indoctrinated by IM chief Yasin Bhatkal in 2008. He had been to Delhi, Mumbai and Pune on Bhatkal`s instructions.
All the cases in which Qateel was allegedly involved took place in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery