Slum demolition: Medha Patkar ends fast
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar called off her over a week-long fast following an assurance by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan that an inquiry would be conducted into the demolition of a slum here.
She ended her fast after midnight last night, an associate of the veteran activist said.
Patkar was fasting since April 4 after 43 houses of the Ganesh Krupa Housing Society in Mumbai`s Golibar slum area were razed by civic authorities.
"Ended the fast after a meaningful resolution of issues following meetings with Secretary Housing & CM. Thanks everyone for support. Zindabaad!" Patkar tweeted this morning.
The NHRC has issued a notice to the Maharashtra Chief Secretary and the Director General of Police to reply within two weeks on the demolition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Cabinet gives nod to revised Indo-Cyprus DTAA
- AAP dares rebel leader Dharamvira Gandhi to resign as MP
- Deepika Padukone to join hands with Indian Psychiatric Society to promote mental health
- Injured Aaron Ramsey not in Chris Coleman's Wales squad
- Banks to auction Kingfisher Airlines brands again on Thursday at lower price