Slum demolition: Medha Patkar ends fast
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar called off her over a week-long fast following an assurance by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan that an inquiry would be conducted into the demolition of a slum here.
She ended her fast after midnight last night, an associate of the veteran activist said.
Patkar was fasting since April 4 after 43 houses of the Ganesh Krupa Housing Society in Mumbai`s Golibar slum area were razed by civic authorities.
"Ended the fast after a meaningful resolution of issues following meetings with Secretary Housing & CM. Thanks everyone for support. Zindabaad!" Patkar tweeted this morning.
The NHRC has issued a notice to the Maharashtra Chief Secretary and the Director General of Police to reply within two weeks on the demolition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites