Slum demolition: Medha Patkar ends fast
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar called off her over a week-long fast following an assurance by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan that an inquiry would be conducted into the demolition of a slum here.
She ended her fast after midnight last night, an associate of the veteran activist said.
Patkar was fasting since April 4 after 43 houses of the Ganesh Krupa Housing Society in Mumbai`s Golibar slum area were razed by civic authorities.
"Ended the fast after a meaningful resolution of issues following meetings with Secretary Housing & CM. Thanks everyone for support. Zindabaad!" Patkar tweeted this morning.
The NHRC has issued a notice to the Maharashtra Chief Secretary and the Director General of Police to reply within two weeks on the demolition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Mood swings! What's on Parineeti Chopra's mind?
- WATCH: IPL 2016 final highlights: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad
- Fast, stretchy circuits could revolutionise Internet of Things!
- This latest OK JAANU pic shows Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor are so much in love!
- Major trouble for Tanmay Bhat! Raj Thackeray-led MNS vows to thrash him for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar