Special team of Mumbai Police begins grilling Abu Jundal
Mumbai: Mumbai Police on Saturday formed a special team, comprising officers who were part of the 26/11 probe that started interrogation of the LeT operative Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal at the highly-guarded cell at the police headquarters.
The special squad will be assisted by three other teams. While one of the three teams will be involved in paperwork, the others two squads will be fanned out, if needed, within and outside Maharashtra, depending upon the progress of the investigation, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy said.
Another squad has also been formed to take care of Jundal`s food and constantly monitor him through CCTVs, sources said, adding "the investigating team has already started probing Jundal. Our interrogation will try to find out various aspects of the case".
Meanwhile, security has been beefed up at and around the police headquarters, Roy said.
A round-the-clock multi-layer security, including members of Crime Branch and Quick Response Team commandos, has been deployed near and around the crime branch lock-up at the headquarters, he said, adding at least 50 policemen are part of the various teams formed for smooth functioning of the probe.
Roy also informed that medical examination of Jundal has been done today.
According to sources, the questions posed to Jundal were pertaining to his hideouts before his arrest, the countries he had visited to and regarding how he got in touch with terrorist organisations, besides his family background and about the 26/11 terror strike.
When asked if Jundal will be confronted with Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab, the Crime Branch chief replied in affirmative.
"We would certainly like to confront Kasab and Jundal. We will look into the various legal options that would enable us to take custody of Kasab to confront them," Roy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says