Strong willpower helped me beat cancer: Pawar
Pune: A steely resolve to fight cancer ultimately saw NCP supremo Sharad Pawar emerging triumphant in his battle against the deadly disease, which had also caused turbulence in his political career.
"I got cured of cancer because of a strong will to fight the disease. If I had given up the fight and stopped working, cancer would have won," Pawar said in an informal chat with reporters at the two-day NCP state-level convention which was inaugurated on Saturday.
Pawar, who was diagnosed with mouth cancer a decade ago, recounted his battle against the disease saying it was important to defy it by remaining strong mentally.
"Investigations started when a doctor friend of mine noticed a swelling on my cheek and suggested a biopsy. The treatment started. It was painful as the skin inside my mouth was burnt making it difficult to consume food," he said.
After undergoing a surgery, he was sworn in as Union minister within a month, Pawar said, adding with a smile that the members of the House cooperated with him by not addressing too many questions to him.
Asked whether he considered that period as critical in his life, Pawar said apart from his will power, he had strong family support in his wife and daughter.
"What I was more worried about during this period was the emotional vulnerability of my party workers, who are attached to me," he said.
The Union Agriculture Minister added that he drew his mental power from his mother, whom he described as a "very strong woman, who fought against all odds".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes