Sugarcane farmers clash with police in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Fresh violence broke out in the Kolhapur district of Maharashtra on Wednesday, two days after a farmer was killed in police firing following violence.
Farmers, who have been demanding an increase in the minimum support price (MSP) of sugarcane, have been protesting against the arrest of their leader Raju Shetty.
In violence today at Kolhapur, a police van was set afire while a state transport bus was vandalised.
The Sangli-Solapur road was also blocked for traffic.
Meanwhile, extending his support to the "justful" cause of sugarcane growers in Maharashtra, social activist Anna Hazare today condemned the firing incident in Sangli district and accused the state government of turning this year`s Diwali "black" for protesting farmers.
Speaking at his native Ralegan Siddhi, Hazare said the stand taken by MP and `Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna` leader Raju Shetty was "justful" but said the farmers should stay away from violence or it will harm their movement.
"By firing on farmers, the government tried to suppress their agitation...This will always be remembered as a `Black Diwali`," he said.
The Gandhian also flayed NCP president Sharad Pawar`s remarks against Shetty and held him responsible for the present agrarian crisis.
A farmer was killed in police firing in Sangli on Monday after a group of peasants tried to lock a police team inside a hotel at Nandre village after learning that Shetty was detained in Pune district.
Shetty was spearheading the agitation of farmers against refusal of cooperative sugar factories in Sangli, Satara and Kolhapur districts of western Maharashtra to give Rs 3,000 per ton as first advance on sugarcane purchase this season. Factories have agreed to pay Rs 2,300 per ton.
His detention sparked largescale violence with protesting farmers torching two state transport buses and a police jeep in Pune district. Several buses were also damaged in the protests.
Farmers had staged road blockades at various places in western Maharashtra as per the appeal made by the farmers` leader.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why