Thane building collapse: Another TMC official arrested
Thane: A suspended assistant municipal commissioner of the Thane Municipal Corporation was on Thursday arrested in connection with last week`s building collapse here in which 74 people were killed, taking the number of those taken into custody for the tragedy to 14, police said.
Shyam Thorbole, the assistant municipal commissioner, was arrested on January 23 this year by the Thane`s ACB unit for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs one lakh from a complainant at Diva, where the TMC had demolished around seven illegal chawls, they said.
He allegedly accepted the bribe for discontinuation of the demolition drive.
Following his arrest in the bribery case, he was suspended.
Thorbole was later out on bail and was under the police scanner.
As many as 74 persons including a large number of children were killed when a seven-storey illegal building under construction crashed at Shil-Phata in Mumbra on April 4.
On Tuesday, police had arrested Executive Engineer Subash Rawal and the Deputy Engineer Ramesh Inamdar in connection with the incident.
Builders Abdul Salim Aziz Siddiqui and Jameel Ahmad Jajaluddin Shaikh, who constructed the structure, are among those arrested. They face the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and criminal conspiracy, among others.
Three officials of TMC, one of them a Deputy Municipal Commissioner, an architect, Corporator Hira Patil, a building material supplier and a local journalist, are among those arrested earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown