Timely ballistic report would have helped crack Dabholkar murder case, say former cops
Pune: Former senior police officers of the state said that had the Pune police received the ballistic report from the forensic department in time, it could have proved to be a vital lead to crack the sensitive murder case of Dr Narendra Dabholkar.
Twelve days into the investigations and yet no concrete lead has been established. Former officers said that the ballistic report could have identified the weapon used by the killers in the crime, and thereby helped them track down the source of the weapon.
This could have helped the investigators to source the weapon by the network of weapon smugglers in the city.
Jayant Umranikar, former commissioner of Pune police, said, “The ballistic report would have definitely helped the Pune police to set their line of investigations on a particular path.”
Umranikar said, “The ballistic report gives the information about the weapon, bullets, the range of firing, etc. It seems to be the work of professional criminals. “The criminals did not leave any evidence to track them down,” he said.
Suresh Kopade, former special inspector general of police, said, “The officers are aware of the weapon used in the crime and the ballistic report will just confirm it. The MANS members must actively help the police with all the necessary information.”
A senior official from the state forensic laboratory, said, “We will send the report to the Pune police soon. We can’t send the report in a hurry, it takes time.”
A ballistic in-charge of Kalina Forensic Laboratory RK Jagtap said, “We can’t reveal whether it was a country-made or a foreign-made weapon.”
The investigation so far
Pune police chief Gulabrao Pol, who came under severe criticism from all quarters including deputy CM Ajit Pawar, said, “We are working hard and are confident to crack the case soon. It was a well-planned murder. The killers have followed him for at least two weeks to study his regular schedule. They have also gone to his native place in Satara.”
Seven CCTV cameras from Shaniwar Peth, Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) and Jungli Maharaj (JM) Road have captured an image of the two killers who had shot anti-superstition crusader Dr Dabholkar. Assistant commissioner of police Rajendra Bhambre said, “The seven CCTV cameras have captured the killers’ image. It will help us in the investigation.” The Pune police have sent a crucial CCTV footage to a UK-based laboratory to see the killers’ image clearly. They have collected over 100 CCTV footage from different parts of the city.
Officers on job
Assistant commissioner of police-ranked officers have been investigating the case. Over 100 policemen including 15 inspectors and 30 sub-inspectors-ranked officers are part of the investigating team. Besides, the anti-terrorism squad (ATS) and intelligence agencies have also been roped into the investigations. A total of 23 police teams have been formed and are working on the case for the past 12 days on the case. As per eye witnesses’ description, a sketch of one of the suspects has been prepared.
Recovery from the spot
The police have recovered keys and a bus ticket which Dr Dabholkar had used to travel. Two live cartridges and three empties in the body of Dr Dabholkar were also recovered.
3 crore call records
More than three crore call records have been collected by the city police to establish a link in the case. The calls have been collected from 13 different spots from Pune, Satara and Dadar.
Criminals quizzed in jails
The Pune police have inquired over 300 past criminals who used to act on supari (contract killing) in the state. However, they have not found any clue on those lines. They have quizzed criminals from Yerawada, Taloja and Kalyan jails
Cyber cell involvement
The cyber cell of city police is investigating the case of threat mails and checking with the social networking sites. Dr Dabholkar’s son Hamid had approached police to remove defamatory comments about his father put on some websites.
Renowned rationalist and anti-superstition activist Dr Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two men on a motorcycle on August 20 on the Maharashi Shinde (Omkareshwar) bridge in Pune’s Deccan area. The incident took place at 7.20 am when Dr Dabholkar was on his morning walk. The attackers parked the bike near the temple.
DNA/Chaitraly Deshmukh/Sandip Dighe
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly