‘Water supply to be cut if no rains in Mumbai’
Mumbai: With the water level receding fast in all five lakes in Mumbai, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on Tuesday warned that water supply may be cut if rains elude Mumbai city in the days to come.
During a meeting convened to review the acute water crisis being faced by the city, the BMC officials claimed that the water level in all five lakes is receding very fast. It has imposed water cuts, which is likely to intensify if the rains continue to elude the city and surroundings in the days to come, it said.
They claimed that in view of the present situation, water could only be supplied till mid July.
However, the civic body officials claimed that it is taking adequate steps to ensure that Mumbaikars don’t face water shortage.
The claims are being made despite the current water deficit of 88,827 million litres. On June 13, 2011, the collective amount of water in the lakes was 1,27,730 million litres in comparison to this year’s 83,903 million litres.
“The water, 20% of which is kept in reserve, is never accounted into data and is kept on standby for emergency situations,” the BMC official said adding, “Once it starts raining, the water level in the lakes will increase, and there will be more than enough water for the entire city.”
With the monsoon continuing to play a spoilsport, state’s Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar recently asked the BMC officials to give top priority to drinking water for the people.
He also ordered that all the available water in all dams across the state must be strictly used for drinking purposes only.
The state capital, Mumbai is facing a major crisis as the monsoon has skipped its regular date of downpour - June 10 - this year.
The BMC had earlier raised an alarm saying that the drinking water supply could only be made for another 19 days.
After July 15, unless there is abundant rainfall, the city with a population of nearly 18 million will face severe water shortages for the rest of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs