Youth held for acid attack on Delhi woman
Mumbai: A 24-year-old man hailing from Haryana has been arrested in connection with the acid attack on a Delhi-based young woman earlier in May, police said on Friday.
The accused, Pawan Gahalon, was caught from Rohtak in Haryana on Thursday on the basis of circumstantial evidence and strong suspicion, Government Railway Police Commissioner Prabhat Kumar said. "He was brought to Mumbai and placed under arrest," he said.
Gahalon was produced before a railway court, which remanded him in police custody till May 17, police said.
According to police, the victim Preeti Rathi, who suffered acid attack on May 2, claimed she had spotted Pawan at Delhi railway station minutes before she boarded a train for Mumbai.
A person resembling Pawan was also seen in the CCTV footage here, police said.
However, police are yet to establish if he is the attacker or he gave contract to another person.
Police claimed that Pawan proposed marriage to Preeti, but she refused. This could have led Pawan to throw acid on the girl.
On May 2, Rathi, along with her father Amar Singh (55), her uncle Vinod Kumar Dahiya, and her aunt Sunita, got down from the Delhi-Bandra Garib Rath train at platform number three when she was attacked.
The B Sc graduate had come here to join Armed Medical College`s INS Ashwini Hospital as a nursing lieutenant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video